If you encounter or anticipate water discoloration in your home due to a disruption in the water distribution system, please follow the protocol provided below:
- Run an outdoor faucet closest to your meter, for a few minutes up to 15 minutes.
- Keep the tap open until the water runs clear. If you have trouble seeing if the water is clear, fill a light
or white colored cup or container to view the water. If the water coming from the tap is not clear after
running for 15 minutes, wait 15-30 minutes and try again.
- Do not run a tap that has a water filter connected to it or the sediment may clog your filter.
- Avoid running a hot water tap because it could draw sediment into your hot water tank.
- If you inadvertently drew discolored water into your home and the staining of clothes or fixtures does
occur, rust removal products are available at the WWU office.